04 February 2008

On flapjacks and pancakes

I must say, I really like the idea of pancakes (or flapjacks, hotcakes, or griddle cakes, whatever you call them). The ratio of crispy outside to fluffy inside is immensely pleasing and they are the perfect vehicle for all types of syrups and sauces. And forming something into a cake and pan-frying it doesn't need to be limited just to breakfast. Sure, pancakes are classic, but there are also crab cakes, corn cakes, fish cakes, rice cakes -- heck, I even made quinoa cakes recently. Familiar comfort food that becomes something special with the little extra work they take to make well.

So, when I saw the tofu pancakes while browsing through my new copy of Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian, I knew they would be one of the first items I tried. Bob and I are what I call "mostly veggie*" and I'm always looking for new ideas on how to cook tofu. I find I mostly just end up putting it in a stir-fry and whenever I try something new it ends up so blah. The dish usually makes me feel very healthy while I'm eating it, but the leftovers always end up sitting in the refrigerator until they get tossed in the trash (example: tofu and kale stuffed shells).

I made the Thai style tofu pancakes and they were very, very good. Flavored with garlic, ginger, lemongrass and cilantro these little cakes pack a lot of flavor and the crispy-outside-to-creamy-tofu-inside balance was just plain delicious. I had some serious issues in trying to flip the cakes, so the first batch I made last night were quite ugly. But I made two more for lunch today, and, well, they're still pretty ugly but I think that's inevitable. At least they look like pancakes this time. Serve these on top of an Asian slaw and top them with some peanut sauce, and you've got yourself a comforting, fragrant, flavorful meal.


*Bob was a vegetarian for years and is just not a big fan of meat, and while I love me a good steak, I do try to cook with locally raised, grass-fed animals. Since I live in Syracuse and the availability is limited and I am frequently too lazy to get my butt to the market on Saturday morning to purchase said meat, I too, end up "mostly veggie."


Tofu Pancakes, Thai Style with Peanut Sauce (adapted from How to Cook Everything Vegetarian)

As I mentioned, I had a tough time flipping these little guys, they just didn't want to slide onto my spatula and the don't have the handy air bubbles that let you know it's time to flip like regular pancakes do. So, I highly recommend making sure the pan is nice and hot and using a large pan for just a couple of cakes at a time so you have plenty of room for flipping.

1 1/2 pounds firm tofu, patted dry
3 tablespoons peanut butter
1/3 cup soy milk or water (I used water)
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 teaspoon minced lemongrass
1/2 cup flour (all-purpose, rice or whole wheat)
Salt or soy sauce
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2-3 tablespoons peanut, dark sesame or neutral oil

1. Put the tofu, peanut butter, water, garlic, ginger and lemongrass in a food processor and puree until smooth.
2. Transfer to a mixing bowl and sprinkle with the flour, some soy sauce to taste and the cilantro, stir well to combine. It should be the consistency of a thick batter, if not, add more water or flour as necessary. The batter cam be made ahead up to this point, covered and stored in the refrigerator for up to a day.
3. Put the oil in a large nonstick or well-seasoned cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Spoon the batter into the pan and spread out to form desired sized cakes, leaving enough room to flip. Cook, undisturbed, until they turn golden and release easily from the pan, about 5 minutes. Flip carefully and cook until done, another 3 minutes. Serve hot.

Peanut Sauce
This sauce is also great for dipping vegetables or tossing with noodles for a cold salad or cabbage, red pepper and carrots for an Asian-style slaw.

3 garlic cloves, peeled
2 shallots, peeled
1 stalk lemongrass, white part only, thinly sliced (optional)
1 teaspoon ground tumeric
1 tablespoon peanut or neutral oil
1 cup coconut milk
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon Sriracha (Thai chile) sauce
1/2 cup peanut butter (crunchy or creamy, your preference)

1. Combine the garlic, shallots, lemongrass and tumeric in a food processor and grind until fairly smooth; you may have to scrape down the sides of the machine quite a few times to get the right consistency.
2. Put the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, cook the garlic-shallot mixture for about one minute. Add the remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth. Simmer, stirring occationally, until the sauce thickens, about 15 minutes. Serve immediately or store, covered adn refrigerated for up to a week.

2 comments:

Jolynn said...

Did you make pancakes in honor of Shrove Tuesday or was that just a lucky coincidence? Pancake Day is a very big deal here in London--our grocery stores have been flogging pancake ingredients and even pre-made pancakes (yuck) relentlessly for the past week.

Anonymous said...

It was a complete coincidence. I'd never even heard about Shrove Tuesday until I was looking up synonyms for pancakes as I was writing the post.