18 February 2008

Not-so-lazy Sunday


Sundays have always been one of my favorite days. I think it all stems from when I was a waitress. The restaurant I worked at for years was closed on Sundays so it was a guaranteed day off, one where I never had to look at the clock to make sure I could run all my errands before my 5 o'clock shift started. Back then I probably went shopping to spend some of the tips that were burning a hole in my pocket and blew off doing my homework in favor of hanging out with friends. Whatever it was, it was my day.

Now, Sunday is still my favorite day, but mostly because I spend so much of it in the kitchen. I love to have the time to prep some food for lunches during the week and make a dish that takes a little more effort for dinner. Lately my habit has been to listen to the most recent podcast of "The Splendid Table" for the first hour or so of cooking. This routine is especially comforting in winter in Syracuse, and with the rain turning the snow into mud and slush yesterday, I could think of no place better to be than my kitchen.

So, what did I make, you ask? I made granola to have on hand for breakfasts and red lentil soup with lemon that is so simple and so satisfying I understand why Melissa Clark of the New York Times has made it her go to lentil soup recipe. And for dinner we cooked up some 'Eye of the Goat' heirloom beans, spicy braised greens and homemade flour tortillas. All in all, pretty productive for a day that became my favorite because it didn't involve work.

2 comments:

The Hippie Triathlete said...

Hey Dawn, well you were more productive than I on that gloomy Sunday we had. And you were saying you "didn't do well with dough." I'm sure your tortillas proved that wrong!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jen. I still don't think I do well with dough, but that flour tortilla dough is a dream to work with. Smooth and silky, it rolls right out so easy I never want to buy tortillas again!